What is Hoarseness?
In this article, we will examine the causes and treatment methods of hoarseness. If you have a hoarseness problem, you should read our article carefully.
If there are changes and muffledness in your normally very clear voice, it is useful to investigate the problems. Because hoarseness may appear as a symptom of a disease, not a disease.
The hoarseness, which expresses the fluctuations in your sound level and the decrease in your sound quality, can come up with many problems. Your voice may be weak, shaky, and hoarse. The main source of this complaint is infections in the larynx area and problems in the vocal cords.
Since short-term hoarseness is associated with reasons such as colds, it is ignored and disappears in a short time. However, the possibility that long-term hoarseness and serious medical conditions may be footsteps should not be ruled out.
Causes of Hoarseness
The vocal cords, the lungs and the tongue, lips, and jaw muscles responsible for shaping the voice are the 3 main structures responsible for the formation of voice.
The sound is formed by the combination of the vocal cords in the larynx and closing the gaps in between. If these gaps are not completely closed, we can talk about hoarseness. The reason for the hoarseness can be explained by damage to the vocal cords or irritation of the vocal cords.
The following reasons can cause hoarseness;
- Upper respiratory tract diseases such as the common cold,
- Diseases such as reflux, which causes acidic contents in the stomach to irritate the throat
- Smoking or passive smoking
- Consuming caffeine-containing drinks or alcoholic beverages
- Vocal damage due to factors such as prolonged high-decibel songs and shouting
- Neurological disorders
- Deformations in vocal cords
- Inhalation of toxic substances, strong coughing attacks
- Blows to the voice box in the throat
- Abnormal structures in the vocal cords
- Throat, thyroid, lung cancers,
- The transition period to puberty in men
- Functional disorders in the thyroid gland,
- Weakening and damage of the muscles that help create sound
Hoarseness may be caused by neurological problems, psychological disorders, hereditary conditions, pregnancy, drugs and hormones used, and malignant tumors. The most common cause of hoarseness is acute laryngitis.
Who Has Hoarseness Most?
Who maintains his work by using his voice; Occupational groups such as call center employees, peddlers, teachers, announcers, politicians, and singers are more likely to experience hoarseness. In addition, hoarseness is mostly between the ages of 30 and 60. The hoarseness can last a few hours, or it can last a lifetime.
If your hoarseness lasts for more than 1 week, it is useful to see an Ear-Nose-Throat specialist. A detailed history is listened to in order to make a diagnosis of hoarseness. The diagnosis is shaped by considering the occasional or continuous occurrence of hoarseness, increasing severity in the morning or evening hours, the patient’s occupation, systemic diseases, genetic characteristics, smoking and examination of the vocal cords.
If you have prolonged hoarseness, doctors will try to find out if you are suffering from a type of cancer or a condition other than cancer. In case of doubt, your physician may request a biopsy. After the diagnosis is made, the doctors will formulate your treatment plan. Among the treatment methods; cessation of smoking, increasing the amount of liquid consumed daily, resting the voice.
You can receive medication for inflammation in the vocal cord, allergies, psychogenic hoarseness. For objects such as polyps, cysts and tumors that occur in your vocal cords, voice therapy will be performed first, followed by surgical operations.
If your vocal cords require surgical intervention, do not delay. In addition, radiation therapy is an effective method to eliminate malignant tumors, you should try. You can take long-term medication for irritations caused by acid leaks in your stomach.
What Is Good For Hoarseness?
In the case of acute laryngitis, in other words, inflammation of the vocal cords, you should prefer natural treatment methods and tea consumption.
- If you have a sore throat, you can gargle with warm salt water until your throat is relieved.
- Breathing dry air in your home or workplace can cause throat irritation. Therefore, it is important to humidify the air in your environment. You can do this with a steamer or a simple method like hanging a wet towel on the heater. Taking a warm shower will also make your throat moist.
- You can choose to use lozenges to relieve your sore throats.
- To relieve the hoarseness, you can add 2 tablespoons of vinegar and a teaspoon of honey to a small glass of water and consume it.
- Relaxing teas such as chamomile and ginger will ease your sore throat and relax you.
- Add 4-5 drops of lemon to 1 teaspoon of honey and gargle and consume it soothes your throat.
- Consuming garlic, nicknamed natural antibiotics, will help treat hoarseness.
What To Do To Prevent Disease?
- You should quit smoking and be careful not to be exposed to smoke.
- You should not drink caffeine-containing beverages such as coffee, cola, and alcohol.
- Care should be taken not to dry the air of your home.
- Do not overload your stomach, avoid acidic drinks and sleep on a high pillow.
- Avoid prolonged use of your voice at high intensity.
- When hoarseness occurs, take care to rest your voice.
- Swallow the food after chewing it thoroughly.
- Avoid spicy, spicy foods.
- You can drink plenty of fluids.