What is Bee Sting?
Bee Sting; Bees generally do not have an aggressive nature. However, in some cases, they perceive certain movements of humans as a threat, and in order to defend themselves, they cause a condition called bee sting by sticking the needle in their body.
Bee stings are a common outdoor nuisance. The treatment method varies depending on the severity. Most people can have treatment at home to relieve pain. If you are allergic to any bee sting or suffer from multiple stings, it can have serious consequences requiring immediate treatment.
Therefore, if a bee stings you, you should apply to health institutions and be examined.
What to Do in Bee Sting?
The reactions that occur as a result of the bee sting differ from person to person. While honey bees die after stinging a person, species such as wasps and wasps can sting more than once and continue their lives.
Bees have venom sacs. Some people may develop allergies to bee venom called “venom”. However, some people may develop allergies as a result of repeated bee stings. If a large number of bees sting at the same time, then a toxic reaction may occur. Although this situation is similar to allergy symptoms, allergic sensitization cannot be detected in tests.
If you are not allergic to bee stings and have not been exposed to multiple stings, some symptoms may occur. These symptoms are; These are simple symptoms such as mild pain, itching, and warming of the inserted area.
How Much Venom is in a Bee Sting?
Symptoms are more severe in individuals who are allergic to bee stings. In addition to allergies, the number of times the bee stings is an important factor affecting the severity of the symptoms experienced.
In moderate reactions; excessive redness and gradually increasing swelling may continue to increase for a few days.
In severe allergic reactions; It may cause itching, rash, hives, the coldness of the skin, shortness of breath, swelling of the throat and tongue, nausea, vomiting, pulse changes, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, confusion, and loss of consciousness.
Immediate medical attention must be given to those who experience these reactions. At the same time, since there may be a more serious risk of anaphylaxis in the event of a bee sting, precautionary planning may be required with allergists.
First Aid Treatment in Non-Allergic Situations
First, the bee’s needle should be removed quickly. Squeezing the needle out may burst the pouch and cause more poison to come into contact with the body. That’s why it’s important to act carefully and quickly.
- The place where the bee stings should be washed with cold water and soap. While cold water relaxes, soap helps remove any remaining dirt or poison from the area.
- The area of swelling and itching should not be itchy.
- Ice compresses can be used to relieve swelling. Putting ice directly on the skin can cause burns.
- Therefore, it will be effective to wrap it in a towel and keep it in the area for 20 minutes. It can be applied repeatedly when necessary. The inserted region tends to grow. So you can mark it with a pencil to measure the affected area. If the growth of the rash increases too much, it will be appropriate to get physician support.
- If the insertion site is your arm or leg, placing it high will support you in reducing pain and swelling.
- Allergy medicine or cream can also be used.
For complaints that do not go away, an allergist should be consulted. The allergist will also guide you to prevent the recurrence of serious reactions.
Bee Sting and Allergy
You may be allergic to bee stings even if your body has not reacted to the sting in the past. Since there are many bee and wasp species, it is possible to encounter an allergic reaction to another while not being affected by one species.
How to Understand Bee Allergy?
Bee allergy becomes apparent right after being stung or within 2 hours. Edema may occur in the throat area, hoarseness, shortness of breath or circulatory disorders may occur. In order to be diagnosed fully; Skin and blood tests are applied to the patient. Bee sting is a condition that should be taken seriously. In the case of a bee sting, the nearest health institution should be consulted.
If you are having problems with your health, you should go to the doctor or call 911. If you want to know more about these, you should follow U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.